Tuesday, January 29, 2008

MOVIES, MOVIES AND SOME MORE...

Over the past three weeks or so, I have seen three good movies, genres as diverse as they get, but with such beautiful souls that it makes me jealous, that these thoughts were not thought up by me, the kernel of idea to make such a lovely story out of a small occurence had not come to me.. I too could have thought along those lines, couldnt I? Hmmm..perhaps not, because many thoughts that we have never get crystallised into ideas...if everyone had that innate talent to pour forth what was in the head and mind into words for others to ruminate over it, how marvellous it would have been? Ok...now to the movies...the first one was a dark film called Eastern Promises by David Cronenberg...story of Russian immigrants living in London...dark, foreboding but in more ways than one compelling...Its difficult to explain the emotions that you are forced to go through during the course of the narrative...You cringe, you cry, you ache for unrequited love, I was repulsed too...But at no point could i tear myself off the film... www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_M8EOC4zA The second was a film, that only a true blue Malayali like I would have watched, but someday I want to subtitle it, and do it in such a fashion that everyone marvels at the craftsmanship of the artist, who could think up such a mundane story but crafted so fine, that it cant be but a masterpiece... the movie is by Srinivasan, called Kathaparayumbol.....a story about a barber who is gradually losing his business to a more modern salon which has opened up in the village...he is considered a loser by many, nearly don quixotish, who cant even stand up for his own cause, which is to raise a loan so that he can buy a better shaving chair and equipment to lure customers back to his shop...loans fail, he slashes down prices, but thats just temporary relief...but his fortune changes when the sleepy little village he lives in gets to know he is the friend of an actor, considered the biggest living star by one and all...and when he remains rooted to his principles not to milk his friendship, the villagers make him the laughing stock...its a predictable end, with all ending well...but by the end of the film, you have already used up so much tissue paper, that you are glad you get to go home with a smile, that alls well with the world.... and then there is the movie i watched today, Reservation Road, the story of a father's anguished hunt for his son's hit and run killer.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJJ7Dxcncs the storyline is fresh, the actors are brilliant and the anguish of each one, is so well etched...theres no villain, theres no one you want to crucify, unlike many films where the black and white are so delineated... I came back wondering what I do, if my son died in a hit and run in front of me and I was left powerless to get him justice....But then again, if his killer is in purgatory himself, how much more can i ensure he gets punished...isnt living each day with the guilt gnawing within the biggest punishment...Hmm...guess its all credit to the cast and crew that I have thoughts that i brought home with me and now am so restless that I cant help but write it down....

No comments:

Post a Comment